Why Choose T. Kang Taekwondo?
T. Kang Taekwondo is one of the few schools in the world that is based on TRADITION and REPUTATION.
The T. KANG TAEKWONDO schools are the largest and oldest group of Taekwondo schools in the New York area. We represent over 70 years of world-class Taekwondo experience headed by world renowned Grandmaster Tae Sun Kang, 9th Dan Black Belt.
Grandmaster Kang is a grandmaster like no other. He is a first generation grandmaster who started his training in Korea in 1967. He learned directly from his father, Great Grandmaster Suh Chong Kang, 10th Dan Black Belt and the highest ranking Taekwondo instructor in the world.
Our school’s history dates back to 1969 when it was established under the name New York Taekwondo Academy by Great Grandmaster Suh Chong Kang. He started his training in 1938 learning directly under the founder of the first Taekwondo school in Korea, Great Grandmaster Won Kuk Lee.
Grandmaster Kang is very active in his Taekwondo studios. He not only engages with students, but also teaches classes on a daily basis. Finding an active grandmaster who still teaches is extremely rare. To this day, he teaches traditional Taekwondo the way it was originally taught, concentrating on physical and mental well-being while emphasizing proper respect and discipline.
Despite receiving numerous requests from Taekwondo instructors to teach at his studios, Grandmaster Kang has never hired outside instructors. Unlike other martial arts schools, every member of his teaching staff, including Masters, Sahbumnims, Senior Instructors and Assistant Instructors, are home grown, having started their training at T. Kang Taekwondo as white belts.
We believe these qualities separate us from other martial arts schools.
OUR PLEDGE – We are dedicated to giving you and your child the most professional, well-supervised and highest quality instruction available in any martial art anywhere!
History of the T. Kang Taekwondo School
- The Kang System of Taekwondo represents over 70 years of world-class experience in martial arts training.
- The Kang Family established the first Taekwondo Academy in Brooklyn, New York in 1969.
- The program’s phenomenal success is based on training methods developed and tested over time by Grandmaster Tae Sun Kang.
- Grandmaster Tae Sun Kang trained in the martial arts directly under his father, the world-renowned Great Grandmaster Suh Chong Kang, 10th Dan Black Belt, the highest ranking living Korean martial artist in the world.
Great Grandmaster Suh Chong Kang
- Started martial arts training in 1938
- Founder of Kuk Mu Kwan Taekwondo in 1963
- Head Instructor of the Korean Military Intelligence Agency – known presently as KCIA (1957 – 1969)
- Commanding Instructor for the Republic of Korea (ROK) Army (1960 – 1968)
- President of American Taekwondo Association (1969 – 1978)
- Vice-President of International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) (1977 – 1983)
- President of American Taekwondo Federation (1978-1995)
- Chairman of World Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan Federation (2001 – Present)
- His students include world-renowned Masters and Grandmasters