Grandmaster Tae Sun Kang was born in South Korea where he began his training in 1967. His father, Suh Chong Kang, a 10th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo, acted as his first instructor. In 1969, the family moved to the United States and established their first Taekwondo school in Brooklyn, NY. This was the beginning of the Kang System in America.
Grandmaster Kang is a greatly accomplished martial artist. He dedicated his life to mastering the art of Taekwondo and went on to receive his black belt in 1973. By 1977, he was named Head Instructor of the New York Taekwondo Academy. He was periodically tested by his father and received Grandmaster status in 1994. This is one of the most honored and difficult titles to achieve in the martial arts. He has participated in both national and international tournaments and has trained some of the top tournament competitors in the world.
Today his life is dedicated to his Taekwondo students and giving attention to over 20,000 students that he has personally taught. With the help of his professional staff individually educated by Grandmaster Kang, he has guided over 2,000 students in attaining the prestigious rank of black belt. Between his four centers in New York City and the Johns Hopkins Taekwondo Club, he continues his unique and innovative program. His greatest achievements are yet to come.
- Over 45 years martial arts experience
- Received 1st Dan Black Belt, 1973
- Appointed Vice-President of the American Black Belt Federation, 1982
- Director of M.I.T. Taekwondo Program, 1982
- All American Champion, 1983
- Founder of T. Kang Taekwondo USA: Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, 1990
- Director of Johns Hopkins Taekwondo Program: Baltimore, Maryland, 1990
- Founder of T. Kang Taekwondo USA: Marine Park, Brooklyn, 1992
- Founder of American Black Belt Association, 1992
- Awarded Grandmaster Status (8th Dan), 1994
- Founder of T. Kang Taekwondo USA: Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, 1994
- Founder of T. Kang Taekwondo USA: Tribeca, Manhattan, 2002
- Has trained over 20,000 students worldwide
- Has awarded over 2,000 black belts
- Has trained international champions in forms and fighting competition
- Current director of four of the largest martial arts schools in New York
- Awarded 9th Dan Black Belt, 2007
- Author of two of the best selling Taekwondo Forms DVDs on Amazon.com – Traditional Taekwondo Forms
- Author of Black Belt Fitness For Life: A 7-Week Plan To Achieve Lifelong Wellness – Black Belt Fitness For Life
Private Lessons with Grandmaster Kang are available at the Tribeca Location
With over 45 years experience in the martial arts and fitness industry, Grandmaster Kang can custom tailor an exercise plan just for you.
Throughout his long and prestigious career he has trained thousands of students, not just making champions or black belts, but helping people achieve their personal goals to be their best.
In addition to learning a powerful form of self defense, his exercise regiment will get you in the best shape ever, by increasing your flexibility, stamina, focus and confidence while keeping your mind extremely motivated.
Let Grandmaster Kang help you create a foundation to live a more healthier lifestyle.
Other Programs Offered:
Women’s Self-Defense program
Fitness/Weight loss program
Accelerated Taekwondo program
Available for seminars/lectures
Grandmaster Kang on the cover of Taekwondo Times November 2015 Issue